Sunday, January 23, 2011

The new "normal"

Today was the start of a new sermon series by our pastor entitled "Greater Than: seeking a new normal." Each year, our church has a "theme" verse, this year's is John 14:12

"Very truly I tell you, all who have faith in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these because I am going to the Father."

Today we were challenged to examine our lives, to define our normal, then let God redefine "normal" for us.  As a Christian my normal should be a constant reflection of Jesus: The WAY, The TRUTH, and The LIFE. Is my life reflecting that? Most days, no, (quite frankly and sadly) it's not. 

So what does a "Greater Than" life really look like? This adoption process is only beginning to change my concept of normal...I know, the end result of this process will be a big change at our house, but I think within the overall picture of our lives' purpose, we'll look back and see this as a small change toward this new definition of normal. I believe that my normal up to this point has been living a "less than" life for Jesus. He said the words in the verse above just shortly before he was going to die, and knowing what was ahead of him, He introduced his disciples to the thought of a life "greater than" what they were currently living. A "greater than" life we all can have if we choose to follow Him with our WHOLE life, not just a portion of our lives one day a week.

His disciples didn't get it; I don't blame them, I don't get it all the time and I know the end of the story.  But the exciting (and scary) thing is, we're not designed to "get it" all the time, we're just designed to trust. I don't "get" why we have to do all the things we're required to do to provide a home for these boys, but I trust that God has this process in place for a reason. I'm trusting his timing (even when it's extremely tough), knowing that he's using this time to prepare us to become godly parents and to prepare our children's hearts and minds to the transition of a family. I don't always "get" why my sons are living halfway around the world, but I do trust that God has specifically chosen these little cuties as my children and am so grateful that He's chosen to entrust us with these precious babes. I pray as trust in my Saviour deepens while I'm on this journey, that I'll be able to let go of my "less than" life and begin living the "new" normal. A normal where God desires to use my life to shine His love, to point those around me to a life "greater than" what they are living. He's purposed us for more than we can imagine, join me on this journey.

*To listen to our pastor's sermon (I highly recommend it) simply go to calvarysc.org/media

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying for you this week! Keep trusting in the Lord and know He has wonderful things planned. Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete